Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sad Day in The Golden State

Well, here I am on vacation in California for two weeks. We came for the 20th and last Patty & Dawn's LINC Memorial Day Party, however, the festival will go on in our memories. LINC is "Lesbians in North County" and is a support group in San Diego's North County region. They meet once a week on a Friday evening to get together and socialize with, shhhhhhhhhhh, other lesbians. This where Lori and I met for the first time (that's another story). The last Memorial Day Party we were at was 10 years ago in 1999. And perhaps I will write more about this event at a later day, however, all of this introduction was to lead me into talking about the outcome of today's verdict from the Supreme Court on Proposition 8 in California. As you can tell from my blog, I have not been keeping up with the "gay marriage" issues in the Mainland as of lately due to my never ending late night studies. So here I am in California and I was not aware that today was the verdict on Prop 8, until I heard about it yesterday at the Memorial Day Party (see I am finally getting to the connection to my opening).

Today at 10 a.m. west coast time, a 6 - 1 vote upheld Prop 8's "marriage is between a man and a woman" as constitutional, however the marriages during the time of the overturn of Prop 8 will remain valid. Another aspect that changed with today's ruling is that same-sexed couples with a legal marriage license from elsewhere will not be legal in California as of today.

Hmmmm, this is starting to sound a little bit like the "highly qualified teacher" status. One day you are not a highly qualified teacher, you take and pass the Praxis, and just-like-that the next day you are a highly qualified teacher. One day a straight individual is single, they get married and get a marriage license, and just-like-that they are able to apply for a sh_t-load of federal benefits while the unqualified gays can not. WTF, seriously folks.

Island Dyke

No comments: