Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Health & Wellness

I am just finishing up with a six week course on health and wellness. I am down to the final discussion board post in which they ask how how am I serving as a role model in my community for promoting health and wellness. I am planning on sharing how in this blog I address issues about health and wellness that affect this local community as well as other communities as blogs are world wide access. It is not my only goal to raise community health and wellness issues but to also raise community awareness for GLBT issues.

One interesting aspect I would like to share from my class is five of the "Ten Warning Signs of Wellness:
  • Episodic outbreaks of joyful, happy experiences
  • A tendency to identify and communicate feelings
  • The persistent presence of a support network
  • Chronic positive expectations; the tendency to frame events in a constructive light
  • An increased appetite for physical activity" (Insel & Roth, 2004, pp. 3)

And now for my 'Top Five Warning Signs of a Well GLBT Individual':

  • Episodic bursts of jumping up and down to YMCA
  • Non-stop talking about how one is sooooooo upset because so and so hurt their feelings, can you believe it?
  • The presence of 'Queer as Folk' and 'The L-word' parties for GLBT network and support
  • Flaming events under stage lights, beauty pagent positive expectations of being crowned
  • An increased appetite for physical activity, baby!

Ok, I was just having a little fun. Come up with a better list. ;0)

Island Dyke

Reference:

Insel & Roth (2004). Core Concepts in Health. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., New York, NY, 10020.

No comments: